Dr. Christopher-Stine is an Associate Professor of Medicine and Neurology and is the Director of the Johns Hopkins Myositis Center, a multidisciplinary clinic formally established in 2007 on the Johns Hopkins Bayview campus and one of the largest, most comprehensive centers of its kind worldwide. Over the past 14 years, she has been involved in clinical research related to idiopathic inflammatory myopathies (“myositis”) and has authored or co-authored over 40 publications. Dr. Christopher-Stine and her colleagues recently discovered that some statin-related myopathies are, in fact, autoimmune in nature. This discovery is a true example of the excellent collaboration and translational research opportunities at Johns Hopkins that has helped to solve a medical mystery and has benefitted patients directly. In her role as the attending inpatient consult rheumatologist, she investigates a wide variety of autoimmune rheumatic diseases including vasculitis, systemic sclerosis, and lupus. In addition, she serves as a member of The Johns Hopkins Institutional Review Board and enjoys teaching both formally and informally at all levels of medical education from students to fellows to faculty. She takes pleasure in the interplay of her roles as clinician, scientist, and educator.
- M.P.H.: Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health
- M.D.: Hahnemann University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA; Alpha Omega Alpha
- Post-doctoral Fellowship: The Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Rheumatology
- Internship and Residency and Chief Residency: MCP Hahnemann University Hospitals, Philadelphia PA
- Undergraduate education: Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA; cum Laude; Phi Beta Kappa
Selected peer-reviewed publications:
- Christopher-Stine L, Astor B Petri M, Fine D. Protein:Creatinine Ratio is A Reliable Measure of Proteinuria in Lupus Nephritis. J Rheumatol 2004;31:1557-9.
- Kalluri M, Sahn SA, Oddis CV, Gharib, Christopher-Stine, L, Danoff SK, Casciola-Rosen L, Hong G3, Dellaripa PF, Highland KB. Clinical profile of anti-PL-12 autoantibody: Cohort Study and Review of the Literature. Chest. 2009 Jun;135(6):1550-6.
- Valiyil R, Hong G, Casciola- Rosen L, Mammen AL, Christopher-Stine, L. Rituximab is an Effective Therapy for Myopathy Associated with Anti-Signal Recognition Particle Antibodies: A Case Series. Arthritis Care Res. 2010 Sep;62(9):1328-34
- Christopher-Stine L, Hong G, Casciola-Rosen L, Corse A, Mammen AL. A novel autoantibody recognizing 200 and 100 kDa proteins is associated with an immune-mediated necrotizing myopathy. Arthritis Rheum. 2010 Sep;62(9):2757-66
- Mammen AL, Chung T, Christopher-Stine L, Rosen P, Rosen A, Casciola-Rosen LA. Autoantibodies against 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme a reductase (HMGCR) in patients with statin-associated autoimmune myopathy. Arthritis Rheum. 2011 Mar;63(3):713-21.
- Petri MA, Kiani AN, Post W, Christopher-Stine L, Magder LS. Lupus Atherosclerosis Prevention Study (LAPS).Ann Rheum Dis. 2011 May;70(5):760-5.
- Mammen AL, Gaudet D, Brisson D, Christopher-Stine L, Lloyd TE, Leffell MS, Zachary AA. Increased frequency of DRB1*11:01 in anti-HMG-CoA reductase-associated autoimmune myopathy. Arthritis Care Res. 2012 Aug;64(8):1233-7.
- Casciola-Rosen L, Hall JC, Christopher-Stine L, Mammen AL, Rosen A. Isolated elevation of aldolase in the serum of myositis patients: a potential biomarker of damaged early regenerating muscle cells. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2012 Jul-Aug;30(4):548-53.
- Werner JL, Christopher-Stine L, Ghazarian SR, Pak KS, Kus JE, Daya NR, Lloyd TE Mammen AL. Antibody Levels Correlate with Creatine Kinase Levels and Strength in Anti-HMG-CoA Reductase-Associated Autoimmune Myopathy. Arthritis Rheum. 2012 Dec;64(12):4087-93.
- Alexanderson H, Del Grande M, Bingham III CO, Orbai AM, Sarver C, Clegg-Smith K, Lundberg IE, Song YW, Christopher-Stine L. Patient Reported outcomes and Adult Patients’ disease experience in the Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies. A report from the OMERACT 11 Myositis Special Interest Group. J Rheumatol. 2014 Apr;41(4):792-8.
- ENMC Myositis Muscle Biopsy Study Group. 193rd ENMC International workshop pathology diagnosis of idiopathic inflammatory myopathies 30 November – 2 December 2012, Naarden, The Netherlands. Neuromuscular Disorders 2013 (23): 945–951.
- Fiorentino DF, Chung LS, Christopher-Stine L, Zaba L, Li S, Mammen AL, Rosen A, Casciola-Rosen L.Most patients with cancer-associated dermatomyositis have antibodies to nuclear matrix protein NXP-2 or transcription intermediary factor 1-gamma. Arthritis Rheum. 2013 Nov;65(11):2954-62.
- Sharma K, Orbai AM, Desai D, Cingolani OH, Halushka MK, Christopher-Stine L, Mammen AL, Wu KC, Zakaria S. Brief Report: Antisynthetase Syndrome-Associated Myocarditis. J Card Fail. 2014 Jul 29
- Johnson C, Connors GR, Oaks J, Han S, Truong A, Richardson B, Lechtzin N, Mammen AL, Casciola-Rosen L, Christopher-Stine L, Danoff SK. Clinical and pathologic differences in interstitial lung disease based on antisynthetase antibody type. Respir Med. 2014 Sep 18
- Christopher-Stine L and Plotz, PH. Adult Inflammatory Myopathies. Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2004 Jun;18(3):331-34.
- Christopher-Stine L and Plotz, PH. Myositis: An update on Pathogenesis. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2004 Nov; 16:700-706
- Christopher-Stine L. Statin Myopathy: An Update. Curr Opin Rheumatol. 2006 (18): 647-653.
- Valiyil R, Christopher-Stine L. Drug-related myopathies of which the clinician should be aware. Curr Rheumatol Rep. 2010 Jun;12(3):213-20.
- SaketkooLA, Ascherman DP, Cottin V, Christopher-Stine L, Danoff SK, Oddis CV. Interstitial Lung Disease in idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathy. Curr Rheumatol Rev. 2010 6(2):108-119.
- Khan S, Christopher-Stine L. Polymyositis, Dermatomyositis, and Necrotizing Myopathy: Clinical Features. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2011 May;37(2):143-58.p
- Connors G, Christopher-Stine L, Oddis CV; Danoff SK. Interstitial Lung Disease Associated with the Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies: What Progress in the Past 35 Years? Chest. 2010 Dec;138(6):1464-74.
- Del Grande F, Carrino JA, Del Grande M, Mammen AL, Christopher Stine L. Magnetic resonance imaging of inflammatory myopathies. Top Magn Reson Imaging. 2011 Apr;22(2):39-43.
- Albayda J, Christopher-Stine L. Novel approaches in the treatment of myositis and myopathies. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease. Ther Adv Musculoskelet Dis. 2012 Oct;4(5):369-77.
- Park JK, Gelber AC, George M, Danoff SK, Qubti M, Christopher-Stine L. Pulmonary impairment, not muscle injury, is associated with elevated ESR in idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Rheumatology. 2013 Jul;52(7):1336-8.
- Albayda J, Christopher-Stine L. Identifying statin-induced autoimmune necrotizing myopathy.Cleve Clin J Med. 2014 Dec;81(12):736-741
- Lahouti AH, Amato AA, Christopher-Stine L Inclusion Body Myositis: Update. Curr Opin Rheumatol. Nov;26(6):690-6