Instructor of Medicine; Director of Research Operations and Physician Lead for the Myositis Precision Center of Excellence
Dr. Christopher Mecoli is a physician-scientist in the Division of Rheumatology. He is a graduate of New Jersey Medical School and received a Master’s degree in clinical investigation from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. He pursued internship and residency training at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, after which he completed a fellowship in rheumatology at Johns Hopkins.
Dr. Mecoli serves as the Director of Research Operations and Physician Lead for the Myositis Precision Center of Excellence. Dr. Mecoli’s research focus includes the association between cancer and myositis, development of myositis patient-reported outcome measures, and autoantibodies.
Dr. Mecoli is an active member of both the American College of Rheumatology and the Maryland Society of Rheumatic Disease.
- M.D. Rutgers University, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ
- Internship and Resident in Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
- Post-doctoral Fellowship, Rheumatology, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
- Masters in Health Sciences, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Selected Recent Original Research Publications:
- Mecoli CA, Purohit S, Sandorfi, N, and Derk C. Mortality, Recurrence, and Hospital Course of patients with Systemic Sclerosis related Acute Intestinal Pseudo-obstruction. J Rheumatol. 2014 Oct;41(10):2049-5
- Mecoli CA, Delev N, Bingham C. Measuring Transaminases in Patients with Rheumatoid Arthritis on Weekly Methotrexate: Does Timing of Blood Testing Matter? Clin Rheum. 2016 Dec:25(12):3053-56
- Mecoli CA, Saylor D, Gelber A, Christopher-Stine L. Pneumocystis Jiroveci in Rheumatic Disease: A 20 Year Single-Center Experience. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2017 Jan 27 (Epub).
- Cox JT, Gullotti DM, Mecoli CA, Lahouti AH, Albayda J, Paik J, Danoff S, Mammen A, Christopher-Stine L. Hiker’s Feet: A Novel Cutaneous Finding in Inflammatory Myopathies. Clin Rheum. 2017 Apr 7. I wrote the basic outline of the article and edited the final version.
- Mecoli CA, Lahouti AH, Brodsky RA, Mammen A, Christopher-Stine L. High-dose cyclophosphamide without stem cell rescue in immune-mediated necrotizing myopathies. Neurology: Neuroimmunology and Neuroinflammation. 2017 July 11 (Epub)
- Park J, Mecoli CA*, Alexanderson H, Regardt M, Christopher-Stine L, Dominguez Maria, de Groot I, Sarver C, Lundberg I, Bingham C, Wook Song Y. Advancing the Development of Patient Reported Outcomes for Adult Myositis at OMERACT 2016: An International Delphi Study. J Rheumatol. 2017 Aug 1 (Epub) *Co-First authors.
- Mecoli CA, Shah AA, Boin F, Wigley F, Hummers LK. Vascular Complications in Systemic Sclerosis: A Prospective Cohort Study. Clin Rheum 2018.
- Mecoli CA, Park J, Alexanderson H, Regardt M, Needham M, de Groot I, Sarver C, Lundberg I, Shea B, de Visser M, Wook Song Y, Bingham 3rd C, Christopher-Stine L. Perceptions of Patients, Caregivers and Healthcare Providers on Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies (IIM): An International OMERACT Study. J Rheumatol. 2018
- Regardt M, Mecoli CA* et al. OMERACT 2018 Modified Patient Reported Outcome Domain Core Set in the Life Impact Area for Adult Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies. J Rheum *Co-First Author
- Mecoli CA, Morgan AM, Schwartz RA. Symptomatic Dermatographism. A review of current concepts in clinical practice, with specific focus on the pediatric population. 2011 May;87(5):221-5.
- Mecoli CA, Christopher-Stine L. Management of interstitial lung disease in patients with myositis-specific autoantibodies. Current Rheumatology Reports. Epub May 2018.
- Mecoli CA, Casciola-Rosen L. An Update on Autoantibodies in Scleroderma. Current Rheumatology Reports. Accepted. June 2018.
- Mecoli CA, Christopher-Stine L. Idiopathic Inflammatory Myopathies and the Environment. In press.
- Butt Z, Patel L, Das M, Mecoli CA, Ramji A. NXP-2 Positive Dermatomyositis: A Unique Clinical Presentation. Case Reports in Rheumatology, vol. 2017, Article ID 4817275, 2017.
Media Releases or Interviews:
- Mecoli CA. Infection Awareness and Pneumocystis Prophylaxis in Patients with Rheumatic Diseases (Video Interview). Johns Hopkins RheumTV. 2017.
- Mecoli CA. The Flu Vaccine in Patients with Rheumatic Disease. (Video Interview). Johns Hopkins RheumTV. 2017.
- Mecoli CA. Overview of the anti-synthetase syndrome. (Video Interview). Johns Hopkins RheumTV. 2017.
- Mecoli CA. “Help Patients Live Their Best Lives”. The Rheumatologist. 2018.
- Mecoli CA. Radio Media Tour – American College of Rheumatology; Rheumatology Report Card 2018. NBC Radio: Listenership: 11,000,000+
- Mecoli CA. “Perceptions of Patients, Caregivers, and Healthcare Providers of Myositis.” Healio Rheumatology. October 2018.
- Mecoli CA. “First IgG4-Related Disease Guidelines Presented.” October 24 2018. MedScape.
- Mecoli CA. Update on Shingles Vaccination in Patients with Rheumatic Diseases (Video). Johns Hopkins RheumTV. 2017.
- Mecoli CA. Raynaud’s Phenomenon (Patient Bulletin). American College of Rheumatology Communications and Marketing, Patient Materials. 2018.
- Mecoli CA. Update on Shingles Vaccination – Shingrix vs Zostavax (Video). Johns Hopkins RheumTV. 2018.