Purpose of Study: Recruitment is underway in Baltimore for a research study of pioglitazone (a.k.a. Actos) for inclusion body myositis (IBM). This research is being done to find out if the drug pioglitazone will affect mitochondria in the muscle of IBM patients. We will also determine if pioglitazone is safe in people who have IBM.
Eligibility Criteria:Study volunteers must meet the following criteria:
- Age ≥ 50
- Have a diagnosis of sporadic inclusion body myositis
- Able to walk at least 20 feet, with or without the use of an assistive device
- Able to rise from a chair without support from another person or device
- No history of diabetes mellitus or prior or concurrent treatment with any diabetes therapy
- Willing to come in for 6 on-site visits over 12 months
- Willing to undergo 3 needle muscle biopsies
- Additional criteria apply and will be reviewed with the study team
Jemima Albayda, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Dr. Albayda has a special interest in the role of musculoskeletal ultrasound to further the understanding and care of the rheumatic diseases. These efforts are particularly focused on the evaluation of early inflammatory arthritis. In the field of myositis, her research is directed at understanding the role of ultrasound for diagnosis and follow-up of patients with inflammatory muscle disease.